Sport Ireland has launched The Sports Energy Support Scheme (SESS) to support clubs with rising energy costs associated with delivering training, including indoor activity in winter, the provision of outdoor floodlighting, etc.
Sport Ireland will only accept applications, via AIRC, under this scheme from clubs which own/lease the sporting facilities and/or which are the primary utility bill payer.
Please note that Sport Ireland will not award grant funding under this scheme in these instances:
- General cost of living increases including increased costs in accommodation, rent, rates or labour costs are not eligible.
- Fuel costs associated with machinery, vehicles, travel or transport do not qualify
- Non-energy related increases or pre-existing debts or deficits are also ineligible.
- Clubs eligible for support under the Governments Temporary Business Energy Support Scheme (TBESS) are recommended to consider this avenue in the first instance. Sport Ireland has indicated that clubs cannot apply to both schemes.
The scheme will not cover:
- Private/Commercial gyms, pools & sports facilities
- Local authority facilities
- School or Third level sports facilities
If your club has utility bills in its own name and can provide bills from 2019 and 2022, if requested by Sport Ireland of successful applicants, clubs can apply here.
Sport Ireland has advised that it does not expect to pay grants to any successful sporting club until early 2023.
Sport Ireland will assess and allocate the Sport Energy Scheme funding to the AIRC, via Horse Sport Ireland, on behalf of the clubs, with distribution expected in the first quarter of 2023.
Meeting the eligibility criteria and/or submitting an application is no guarantee that your application will be successful, and a grant will be awarded. Clubs can only submit one application.
The closing date for clubs to submit to AIRC is 10 pm on Tuesday 22nd November (to allow AIRC to submit to Horse Sport Ireland ahead of their deadline). While we appreciate that this timeframe is short, it is beyond our control.
Please contact National Office with any queries.